Thursday, April 11, 2013

Helsinki

I have been terrible about updating on my life, I realize, but better late than never, right? Right! So as I mentioned months ago, I moved to Helsinki, and it's about time to show off my new flat. I know this will be a boring post for most, but I know people like my loving mother and father like seeing where I lay my head to rest. I live in a neighborhood in Helsinki called Koskela, and it's pretty cool. If you're curious you can see here where my neighborhood is in relation to the rest of the city, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koskela
The reason I like living out here is because it's not as crowded as the city center, not that Helsinki is crowded, but nonetheless, it's still a bit quieter. This whole country all together only has 5 million people, insane! But anyways, Koskela is an older part of town, and therefore there are a lot of old, beautiful homes, which I love because they keep me entertained on my runs. 

Anyways, I live in a big apartment building (6 floors) on the top floor, with 7 other flatmates. It's a confusing set up, but basically there are two entrances to our apartment, and you first enter into the common room, or living room. In the living room we have 3 couches, a tv, a dining room table, and then off to the back is the entrance to the balcony. From the living room, there are four flats, each with two flatmates, who share a bathroom and a kitchen. Pictures will do this better justice...

Walking in the front door. My apartment door is to the right, and straight back is the living room and balcony.
Our living room
Looking back at the front door from the living room. Around the corner to the right of the photo is the other entrance.
This is our balcony, pretty awesome!
This is the view from our balcony, nothing spectacular, but it's still a balcony! :)
So then I have my flat off to the right hand side of the common area, where I hypothetically share my kitchen and bathroom with a flatmate. My flatmate, however, lives with her boyfriend and uses her flat at our place as storage, I suppose? All I know is that I am not complaining because I have the best of both worlds, I can retreat to my flat and shut the door to the common room and I live in my own little world, or if I'm feeling social I can go out to the living room and socialize with 6 other people. My flat has such a tiny little kitchen, but it's cozy and mine so I like it. I've also managed to successfully decorate my walls like crazy in 2 months, and that also makes this place feel like home! 

When you first walk in this is what you see. My bedroom is in the back there, and then to the right is my kitchen nook, and to the left is the bathroom.
Here is my kitchen nook.
Pretty small, but I manage. I have a stove with only two burners though, so that's kind of a drag
Looking from the kitchen to the bathroom.
Bathroom
Looking into my bedroom, it's pretty cool, if I do say so myself :)
So much stuff on the walls!!!
This is the view from my bedroom window, sometimes I see amazing sunsets!
So I suppose that about does it for my new apartment! I hoped you all enjoyed this virtual tour of a student flat in Helsinki. In typical Finnish style, there is a sauna in the basement that I can use for free every week, I love it! And then there is also a laundry room where I can do my laundry for free as well, amazing! I'd say life in Helsinki is pretty great! I have also managed to find a job as a banquet waitress, so that is also helping out lots and making the move to Helsinki worth it! It just feels good to be in a place where things are happening all around you, even if you're not participating, the option is still there and that makes me feel alive! And the icing on the cake is that all of my flatmates are really nice and easy-going, 6 Finns, Valeria and myself; it's been fun!

The snow still hasn't gone away yet, despite the fact that it's spring :( but I am trying to maintain a positive attitude about it, so I'll leave you with this cool photo that I took when on a walk recently. 
A taste of home buried in Helsinki!




1 comment:

  1. YEAHHHHHHH HELSINKI-RAGE! I love your sweet little apartment and whoa.... rad fucking photo of an Illinois cop car! How the fuck did that thing get to Finland?!?!? Ps: ILY

    ReplyDelete