Friday, September 27, 2013

España

After the amazingness that was Iceland, it's hard to act like anything could get much better, but then I got to go to Spain! When Dave and I landed in Barcelona it was in the 80s, and I could have kissed the ground I was so excited to have the sun warming my bones. Iceland was admittedly pretty chilly/windy/rainy at times, so the warmth was welcomed on my part at least. 

After Dave and I got to Barcelona we headed straight to his house, which is in Asturias. It was pretty surreal for me to be in the Barcelona airport again though, and I can't wait to be back in that city come February. But anyways, we made it to Asturias, and if you want to creep on where Dave's house is, you can google Infiesto, Spain; and it's very close by there. I was really excited to go to Asturias because I'd never been to this province before, and Dave had obviously talked it up, so I was really looking forward to it. Dave's house is in a really remote area (from my little urban dweller perspective), and it was so peaceful and beautiful.

Essentially it was a really lovely two and a half weeks of leisure for me :) Dave, and his friend Bart (who was visiting the whole time we were there) worked on the house a lot, but I played rather incompetent in household matters, and mostly read a lot and went running some, and then ate a lot of good food. Dave's uncle has an amazingly impressive vegetable garden that we ate out of for nearly every meal. Their land is really just great in general, and it's so cool that they have put in a massive vegetable garden in one corner of the space.

Dave and I also took a couple of days to go explore other parts of Asturias, and went camping on the beach one night (nearish Lastres), it was really beautiful. His house is about an hour bicycle ride from the coast, and only a handful of minutes by car, pretty cool. We also managed to stumble upon a village festival the night we were camping, so we partook in that as well, it was fun mostly for me because there were fireworks involved! But I also learned how to drink a proper coulín of cider and got to sleep under the stars, without a tent, on the beach for the first time in my life. The next day Dave and I also checked out the Picos de Europa, which are also very close by, and naturally they're really beautiful. 

Other time was just spent going on many walks, watching the sunset from different nearby spots (you can usually get a view of the sea and the mountains at the same time if you go to certain spots), and having the occasional bonfire. It was a really relaxing and lovely time, and I can't wait to go back soooooon!
The view as you are coming into the village.
Cerezaléu - you can see the garage on the left, el hórreo on the right, y la casa detrás
View from the backyard.
View from the garden.
I wasn't kidding about how impressive the garden is.
This guy was always making bread it felt like.
Lazy afternoons listening to guitar.
Rides in cars with these dirtballs.
I think he might be aiming for me, and not the wood?
The sky being beautiful.
The vista del baño seco, pretty cool.
The Picos are in the distance!
Hammocks, books, and sunshine, I'll take it!
Crazy colors after it rained!
The Bay of Biscay!
Cider at a village festivals!
Goooood morning!
Staring at the Picos de Europa!
One of many epic sunsets.
These two enjoying the sunset.
And another sunset.

I think he's figured it out?
They both made a gate for their new fence that they built. Bart made one out of wood, and Dave used a bed spring.. both work!
Thanks Spain for being you! I can't wait to be back in February!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment